At Mr. Transmission® Milex® of Columbia, drivers often ask us what warning signs can tell them they need a transmission repair for their vehicle. By detecting problems early, Columbia drivers can prevent further damage or wear to their transmission and avoid a more costly and extensive transmission repair.
7 Signs You May Need a Transmission Repair
Here are the top seven transmission repair warning signs that Columbia drivers should look out for:
- Burning Smell. When you smell a burning odor while driving, that usually means transmission fluid is overheating. Transmission fluid helps cool and lubricate your transmission, so overheated fluid often means serious damage.
- Fluid Leaks. If you’re seeing puddles of fluid building up on your driveway or find that your car is leaving a fluid trail behind it, that means transmission fluid is leaking. A transmission repair to fix the leak will be needed, and you’ll need to top up or change your vehicle’s transmission fluid.
- Dirty Fluid. Many Columbia drivers bring their cars to the transmission repair experts at Mr. Transmission Milex of Columbia for a free transmission fluid check. But if you’re the kind of driver who inspects fluid on your own, dirty transmission fluid will tell you that your transmission needs attention.
- Unusual Noises. A problem transmission usually leads to strange noises, particularly when your car is changing gears. In automatic vehicles, this typically means a whining or humming sound. In manual vehicles, you may hear grinding sounds or clunking noises.
- Bad Gear Shifts. If your transmission is worn or damaged, it will often have problems going into gear. In an automatic transmission, you may notice your car won’t go into Drive or Park immediately. In a manual transmission, you might notice it takes time to go from one gear to another.
- Slipping Gears. In manual cars, a transmission problem sometimes leads to your engine slipping out of gear, causing your engine (and gear stick) to suddenly shift into neutral while driving. This can be very dangerous for drivers, and is a sure sign that transmission repair is needed.
- Check Engine Light. Transmission problems are just one of the issues that a Check Engine light can warn you about. The technicians at Mr. Transmission Milex of Columbia offer computer diagnostic checks to pinpoint Check Engine light problems.
Columbia’s Transmission Repair Experts
Mr. Transmission Milex of Columbia is your local transmission repair center. Our trusted technicians offer free, no-obligation Performance Checks any time you’re experiencing transmission issues. If you require a transmission repair, we will be happy to provide you with a detailed diagnosis of your transmission’s issues and an estimate for your repair.
Book a FREE Performance Check with Columbia’s transmission repair experts today by calling us at (803)772-7986.